Your Brain, But Better: Neurostimulation – Dr. Daniel Chao #488
By: Dave Asprey
May 1, 2018
Biohacking at its Best.
In today’s episode of Bulletproof Radio we’re talking to a leading neuroscientist about how to actually replace drugs with electricity, and how to increase your brain’s neuroplasticity using a new technology.
Dave Asprey and Dr. Daniel Chao, Co-Founder and CEO of Halo Neuroscience go deep into the past, present and future of neurostimulation.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Links/Resources for Daniel Chao
- How Dr. Chao got his start. “When you talk about drugs for the brain, so psychiatric and neurologic conditions, the wheels kind of come off. The list of side effects are often as bad as the disease it’s trying to treat. So, it really, to me, begged the question, could we be doing something better? Let’s think beyond drugs.”
- “It got me starting to think about electricity. The brain, we’ve long known, is computer circuit, right? It’s wired and it’s got different processing centers. There’s cables going the processing centers. I really started to think about the brain as a computer chip, and what we could do with electricity to interface with the brain to treat human disease, and potentially to enhance otherwise healthy people.”
- Dave on making healthy people even better! “But, with Halo now, you’ve gone a step longer and said, “We’re not actually curing a disease here. We’re doing something different, which isn’t necessarily medical, because when you’re increasing performance in someone who isn’t sick, all of a sudden, that’s not what doctors do. That’s what someone else does.”
- Dave on coming up with the word Biohacking. “I couldn’t find a name. I sort of made one up. Bio-hacking is that art and science have changed the environment around you and inside of you. So, they have control of your own biology. That means if you’re not sick, and wanna be better, that’s just control.”
- Dr. Chao on how Halo Sport works. “The core technology that drives Halo Sport is a technology called TDCS, or Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. You’re exactly right. It involves creating a current that runs along your scalp, but the important thing is that this current creates an electric field that is strong enough to get through the skull while gently interacting with your cortex. In the case of Halo Sport, we target the electricity, this electric field, at the special part of the brain called the motor cortex, this part of the brain that controls movement in our bodies.”
- Go check out “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and leave a review!
- If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review.