Video: How to Make Bulletproof Coffee On-The-Go!
By: Dave Asprey
Bulletproof Coffee has become the daily breakfast routine for thousands of people because it gets their morning started off on the right foot. Check out the official Bulletproof Coffee Recipe and video here.
One thing I get asked a lot is how to make Bulletproof Coffee when traveling or on the go. The good news is that it doesn’t require a ton of time or any fancy equipment to make a good cup of Bulletproof Coffee, even when you’re making it in a hotel room or grocery store without your French press and Vitamix blender!
Reverse French Press, AKA Cowboy Coffee
Here’s a video of me making a cup of Bulletproof Coffee while on the road:
The easiest, cheapest way to make a cup of Bulletproof Coffee on the go doesn’t require you to carry around anything but your coffee, butter, your travel-friendly, leak-proof 3-oz Brain Octane oil, and a good, leak-proof travel mug. Another tip for frequent travelers: Upgraded Coffee Beans now come in ground form so you don’t have to remember to pre-grind your beans before hitting the road.
Here’s a quick checklist of the steps I followed:
- Ground coffee
- Unsalted grass-fed butter (try transporting in a travel soap holder) or grass-fed ghee
- Travel-sized Brain Octane Oil
- A leak-proof travel mug
Steps to Brew Coffee:
- Ask a local cafe or coffee shop for a couple of cups and some hot water (make sure to tip them for their assistance!)
- Stir your coffee grounds into the hot water and make sure to break the crust of grounds that forms on top of the water.
- Gravity will pull the grounds to the bottom of the cup, but you can tap the cup to help the grounds settle to the bottom.
- Keep stirring and tapping the cup to settle the grounds as the coffee is steeping, a process that will take 4-6 minutes.
- Once the grounds are settled, pour the coffee into another clean cup, making sure that the majority of the grounds stay in the first cup, and tap the second cup to make any remaining grounds settle.
- Pour a small bit into your travel mug to preheat the mug: no one likes cold coffee!
- Fill the travel mug with your coffee, 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or 1-2 teaspoons of ghee, and Brain Octane Oil, and then shake the crap out of it for 2 minutes until it is fairly well blended.
This method won’t give you perfect, ground-free coffee, and the blending won’t be as thorough as it will with an actual blender, but it will give you a good cup of Bulletproof Coffee without the hassle of lugging around your French Press and Blendtec all over the place.
If you don’t mind toting some smaller gadgets around with you, here are some other fun tools that can help you make a darn good cup of Bulletproof Coffee while traveling:
- Hario Paperless Coffee Dripper Stainless Steel Filter
- GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker
- Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker
- Ultrafine Stainless Steel Coffee Filter for Aeropress
- Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini
- Portable Drink Mixer
In short, there are tons of ways to make it work for you: how else do you hack your Bulletproof travel?