The Top 6 Bulletproof Biohacks for Self Upgrading
Start with this video. It has inspired and motivated hundreds of people. It covers my top 6 biohacks for self upgrading, along with the story of how this all happened. Also see the Financial Times Magazine article.
I’m lazy. What should I do first?
Watch the video above! Seriously, I outline the top 6 things. But if you’re so lazy you won’t watch it, here are some things to do:
- Use high performance nutrition: Sign up for the email list so we can send you The Complete Illustrated Bulletproof Diet. All the info is posted this site; the one we send when you sign up for free boils more than 1,000 studies into a few charts that fit on your fridge.
- Upgrade your heart and lower stress with information here.
- Get more efficient sleep with the sleep hacking series of posts.
- Try the recipe for Bulletproof Coffee. You’ll never look at coffee the same way again!
- Try executive coaching (Heart Math certified) if you like – space is limited and calls happen on weekends and evenings; I have a busy day job but love helping high performance people perform even better.
I want to interview you for my article/webinar/blog/podcast/radio/TV show
Use the contact form on this page to send me an email. I’ll get back to you right away. I’m media-trained and have been an executive spokesperson for 3 publicly traded companies. You’ll get what you need for your piece quickly and with very cool quotes served up on the fly!
What is The Bulletproof Executive?
It’s my labor of love blog where you learn how easy it is to hack your body, mind, and career to win at work and rock it at home. You will find information here that is virtually unknown even online, and it’s open for debate and discussion.
What do you think of that Four Hour Body guy?
Tim Ferriss and I are on very similar wavelengths and I respect him a lot:
- Tim spent 10 years biohacking with a focus on physical abilities and reversing injuries . I spent 15 years biohacking my mental abilities, along the way realizing I had to achieve stellar health, massive sustainable weight loss, and create super resilience for physical and mental tasks. At the highest level, 4HB is mostly about hacking the body, strength, and endurance. Cool stuff.
- My work is mostly about the hacking the brain and nervous system, with strength and fat loss as easy to achieve support factors for a healthier brain.
- I didn’t write a best-selling book. Or two. Yet.
- Tim’s research on getting the most out of exercise in the least amount of time possible is the best I’ve ever seen. His “slow carb” diet is named by a marketing genius (Tim) and it’s better than most out there, but it has major holes in it. My business partner, Andrew Clark, one of the guys I have coached for a long time, is in the process of writing up some Bulletproof experiments using Tim’s 4HB exercise protocols with The Bulletproof Diet. The results are mind-blowing. Beans suck.
- The Bulletproof program lets me maintain awesome muscles and strength with no exercise at all and unlimited calories. 4HB doesn’t.
- Tim believes in polyphasic sleep but doesn’t practice it regularly for the same reasons almost everyone else doesn’t. I believe in sleep hacking to get a full night’s sleep in 4 hours.
- I have two young kids and a family, so my hacks have to be family-compatible.
Summary: I bought 30 copies of Tim’s Four Hour Body book the day it came out and recommend it to anyone who wants to exercise in almost no time to stay fit.
What’s it like being a professional biohacker?
I’m not! I’m a guy who profoundly upgraded his life using biohacking. By day, I’m a happy VP Cloud Security at Trend Micro. I’m thankful that this site is one of the ways I can give back to people I care about. The other was by writing down the program my wife and I developed to optimize the health and intelligence of our own children as The Better Baby Book, due this year from Wiley & Sons. I also run Smart Life forum.
I want you to come speak at an event I’m planning or at my company. How much do you charge?
It depends. If it’s virtual, I’m happy to share my knowledge. If it’s somewhere I’m already planning to be, probably not very much. If it’s non-profit, probably nothing. I have to travel, let’s talk. I love sharing this stuff. Biohacking is what I do for fun.
When is the Better Baby Book coming out?
We’re under contract with Wiley & Sons, one of the top publishers in the US. Hopefully this year!
When will you write The Bulletproof Executive?
Real soon now, but after the Better Baby Book. If you want to read it, tell me in the comments below please! It will help me sell the book to a publisher.
I want you to blog about XYZ topic. When will you do it?
Request your topic in the comments area below. I’ll write about it as soon as possible! Guest blogs elsewhere are cool too.
Can I marry you, or at least pass your genes on to the next generation?
No. My wife would kill you and, if you’re mostly organic and non-vegan, she might eat you for lunch (we eschew eating vegans because they are full of low-quality fatty acids.) I only get to write this blog because she lets me. 🙂 But seriously, upgrade your own genes before you pass them on. That’s what my first book is about!
40 IQ points? That’s absurd. What’s your IQ anyway?
Technically, I used a variety of methods that are independently shown to raise IQ for a total of about 40 points. However, there is not enough research to say whether those methods are additive. In other words, if creatine can add 12 IQ points, and advanced EEG neurofeedback can add 12 points, that’s 24 points. But in reality, there may be some overlap, so the total could be less than 24, maybe only 20. On the other hand, maybe they’re synergistic, and creatine or neurofeedback can each separately give you 12 points, but together provide 30 points. My sample size (me and a few biohackers I coach and advise) isn’t large enough to tease out this vital difference. My experience says that they *are* synergistic. Brain hacking tends to snowball because of these synergies. There is also a training effect when you take IQ tests often. As for what my IQ is, it varies substantially by day, diet, alertness, smart drugs, toxins, breathing, and environment. The whole point of The Bulletproof Executive is to move YOUR needle, not compare it to others.
Ask Jamie Kingham, the photographer FT asked to do the shoot. (he’s awesome) We did all kinds of weird lighting effects; I was staring into a very bright light for the alien photo. The light makes me look years older than I am but really calls out the CES electrode I’m wearing.