Sugar-free Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
By: Bulletproof Staff
Ah, Pumpkin Spice Lattes – the harbingers of fall. For many, this is the drink that makes an entire season. But even as an occasional fall treat, there’s a couple of issues with the traditional PSL.
Sugar messes with your energy and makes you crash
The traditional Pumpkin Spice Latte can contain up to 64 grams of sugar (in a 20 oz. cup)! That’s about 12 teaspoons. No wonder these things are so addictive. But sugar is not part of a healthy diet. While balance is necessary and shame is a no-no (hey, we all indulge sometimes), you can replace the sugar in your diet with alternatives that support healthy hormones and battle unwanted weight gain.
Um, there’s no pumpkin in there
Pumpkin and its orange, yellow, and red plant brothers are packed with nutrients that feed your brain and support your vision. These rich colors translate to high beta-carotene content, a potent antioxidant and a precursor for the essential fat-soluble vitamin A. Just one cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 200% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which is crucial for keeping your eyes young and your bones, skin, and other connective tissue strong. Pumpkin also contains decent levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that support eye and brain health.
Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes: 4-6 cups
NOTE: The Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Un-Latte is a warm, delicious treat we like to bust out during colder months; but it’s not ideal for everyday. For your best performance all day long, stick with your classic Bulletproof Coffee.
- 3-4 cups plain brewed Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 ¼ cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. Brain Octane Oil
- 3 tbsp. organic pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. xylitol or stevia (to taste)
- Optional: 2 tbsp. raw whipped cream or whipped coconut cream on top
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Over medium heat, simmer for approximately five minutes. Stir well to evenly blend spices and oils.
- In a high-speed blender, add 2 1/2 cups Bulletproof coffee (brewed strong), add pumpkin spice mixture from saucepan – blend on high for 30 seconds until creamy and frothy.
- (Option: if you don’t have a blender, add premade coffee to pumpkin mixture and use a hand blender in saucepan – blend till smooth and frothy.)
- Optional: add xylitol, monk fruit, stevia, or other natural sweetener.
- Optional: add raw cream/whipped cream on top for a special treat, if you can find it!
*** A quicker hack would just be to add a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin pie filling to your morning cup of Bulletproof Coffee. It’s tastier than it sounds.
It’s important to feel like you can have a treat now and then without spiraling into a blood sugar mayhem. Stick to this recipe and the healthy fats will give you energy for hours and the mini dose of pumpkin adds some nutrients to your morning.
Enjoy this recipe? There are tons where that came from. Get the latest biohacking updates and brand new Bulletproof recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up below.
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!