Benefits of the Bulletproof Diet and How to Get Started
By: Dave Asprey
December 29, 2011
The Bulletproof Diet helps thousands of people lose up to a pound a day and look better than ever while gaining incredible levels of energy and focus. And it’s all rooted in one core principle: Learning how to effectively fuel your brain and body, while ridding your life of the toxins and bad habits that are holding you back.
Ok, that might sound overwhelming. But you don’t need degrees in biochemistry and psychology to start making huge changes in your mood, your performance, and your body composition.
There’s a much quicker solution. No complicated rules or concepts to memorize. Just some simple principles that guide you to feeling better than ever.
It’s called the Bulletproof Diet. And it’s awesome.
What is the Bulletproof Diet?
The Bulletproof Diet supports fat loss and muscle maintenance, all while lowering inflammation. It’s also designed to help balance blood sugar and hormones, plus increase your energy levels and cognitive function.
The thousands of people who have tried the Bulletproof Diet have reported things like:
- More energy
- Better focus and concentration
- Fat loss
- Muscle gain
- Better mood
- Increase in overall happiness
- No more food cravings
- Better performance at work
- Better performance at home (wink wink)
You will feel full for hours on the Bulletproof Diet with no food cravings or loss in energy. This is not your grandma’s low-fat diet. Instead, you’ll focus on eating high-quality, nutrient-dense foods that fuel your body.
No calorie counting. Ever.
How to navigate the Bulletproof Diet
Have you ever started a diet and felt like you had to be perfect? Or you beat yourself up when you eat even a bite of something that is “off limits” or on the “not allowed” list?
A lot of people feel this way, which is why most diets don’t work. The Bulletproof Diet is different.
Bulletproof foods and drinks actually exist on a spectrum – green to yellow to red:
- Green Zone foods: These are Bulletproof foods. Eat as many of these as possible!
- Yellow Zone foods: Be cautious of these. They may cause inflammation or digestive issues. See how they make you feel.
- Red Zone foods: These are what we refer to as “kryptonite” foods, and you should avoid these as much as possible.
How does Bulletproof Coffee fit in?
If you’ve heard of the Bulletproof Diet, you’ve probably heard about Bulletproof Coffee. Delicious, creamy BP Coffee is the creation of Founder and CEO Dave Asprey. It’s a powerful concoction of coffee brewed from Bulletproof Coffee Beans, grass-fed butter or ghee, and Brain Octane Oil.
Bulletproof Coffee is a staple of the Bulletproof Diet; with healthy fats to fuel your brain and body for hours, plus a powerful punch of polyphenols (antioxidants) to help power your performance for the long-term.
You can learn all about the science behind Bulletproof Coffee here.
Download the Bulletproof Diet Roadmap
This one-page guide will help you navigate all aspects of the Bulletproof Diet on a single page
Choose your own Bulletproof Diet adventure
To get started on the Bulletproof Diet, you have a couple of options. You can:
- Dive right in with this free downloadable BP Diet Roadmap. It shows you exactly what to eat and what to avoid to get the most nutrients from your food.
- Follow the 10 Simple Steps to Eating the Bulletproof Diet outlined below, one at a time, to ease yourself into a new way of thinking about food.
We created this step-by-step approach to the Bulletproof Diet because everyone learns and grows at a different pace. The steps below are bite-sized recommendations that come straight out of The Bulletproof Diet book but in 14 steps instead of 300+ pages of stories, science, and citations.
The Bulletproof Diet is an abrupt departure from the Standard American Diet (SAD). Instead, the BP Diet focuses on healthy fats, antioxidant-rich vegetables, and high-quality proteins that feed your body at a cellular level. But going from cheesy puffs to covering your plate in veggies isn’t always an easy transition. The steps will help.
Now for your step-by-step guide to eating the Bulletproof Diet. It’s best to follow the steps in order and don’t beat yourself up if you can’t do it all at once.
10 steps to eating the Bulletproof Diet
- Eliminate sugar. Sugar comes in many hidden forms, including fruit juice, sports drinks – even sauces and salad dressings. Even naturally-derived sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and agave can mess with your blood sugar and make you fat.
- Replace sugar with the right fats. Replacing sweeteners with healthy fats like grass-fed butter, ghee, Brain Octane Oil, XCT Oil, cocoa butter, and coconut oil reduces cravings and gives you more energy. Avoid bad fats like corn, soy, and canola oil and unstable polyunsaturated fats like walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
- Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. The quality of your food matters. Choose pastured, grass-fed meat like beef, lamb, and bison. Pastured eggs, pork, chicken, turkey, and duck also make good clean sources of protein. Eat significant amounts of fish and other seafood, but make sure your fish is wild – never farmed!
- Remove grains and gluten. Wheat is a particularly important grain to avoid because of the many negative effects of gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains. But this category also includes corn, oats, barley, and other cereal grains.
- Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
- Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them yourself.
- Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. Most dairy products contain casein and lactose, two compounds that cause inflammation and digestive distress in many people. Grass-fed butter has much lower levels of casein and lactose because of the churning process, which removes the buttermilk from the butterfat. Most people feel a lot better removing milk, cheese, and other dairy products entirely, but if you want to keep some dairy products, opt for full-fat, raw dairy from grass-fed cows.
- Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. You can find a full updated list from the Environmental Working Group.
- Cook your food gently, if at all. Smoking, frying, and grilling can damage the proteins in your meat and produce carcinogens that adhere to the surface. Best to cook your food slow and low, at or under about 320°F. Do not use microwaves or fry your food.
- Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Fruits are not vegetables. Favor low fructose-containing fruits like berries and lemons over higher sugar fruits like watermelon and apples.
Bonus tip: Enjoy your food.
Do I have to do all 10 steps at once?
Will implementing just a few of the Bulletproof Diet principles be enough to notice any difference?
Yes. Absolutely. You’ll be stronger, sharper, and happier by making even the smallest changes in the right direction.
But the more you do, the better you’ll feel.
For a comprehensive guide to Bulletproof-approved foods, print out this Bulletproof Diet Roadmap and stick it on your fridge.
Where did the Bulletproof Diet come from?
Bulletproof Founder and CEO Dave Asprey perfected the Bulletproof Diet after decades of failed attempts at losing weight the old fashioned way – hours of cardio and calorie restriction.
Dave struggled for years with stubborn fat that wouldn’t budge, brain fog, and a laundry list of chronic diseases.
When the status quo of low-fat foods and endless treadmill sessions failed him, Dave dove into the research himself, learning about the complex roles that inflammation, environmental toxins, hormones, and gut bacteria play when it comes to fat loss, hunger, and energy levels. Many of these discoveries came from more obscure research and testing a dozen different diets and nutrition protocols on himself.
After switching to the Bulletproof Diet, he shed 100 pounds of fat. But that was just the beginning. His energy and productivity were through the roof, and the symptoms of a half dozen chronic diseases disappeared. Even his IQ increased.
Eager to share his findings, Dave gave the Bulletproof Diet to friends and family and saw them rapidly lose weight, increase their mental focus and finally gain control of their food cravings.
Since then, thousands have tried the Bulletproof Diet with the same success, without feeling deprived or losing out on precious energy.
Dave maintains his 100-pound weight loss to this day and often talks about living to 180. Just like him, many people on the BP Diet feel better in their 40s and 50s than they did in their 20s. You can, too.
That’s it! You’re on your way to lowering inflammation, killing nasty sugar cravings, and increasing your mental and physical performance.
Stay in touch! Subscribe to get original Bulletproof Diet recipes and more straight to your inbox.