Low-Carb Bacon Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
Shrimp Skewers recipe & content provided by Veronica Culver, The Enchanted Cook
It’s summer grilling season and these bacon-wrapped shrimp skewers are an easy addition to your outdoor feasts. You can build your skewers hours in advance and store them covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to grill.
Grilling these shrimp skewers only takes a few minutes, since the bacon is partially cooked and shrimp grills quickly. Delivering a big dose of vitamin C, the seasonal pineapple is a nice accompaniment to the shrimp and tastes great lightly grilled.
If desired, you can replace shrimp with chunks of pastured sirloin steak. However, you will want to marinade the steak for at least a few hours before grilling to keep the meat tender. A mixture of fresh pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar and spices would make a perfect marinade.
This recipe makes six large (10-inch) skewers with three bacon wrapped shrimp per skewer.
Low Carb Bacon Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
- 18 medium or large wild caught shrimp
- 9 slices uncured pastured bacon, sliced in half and parcooked (but still pliable)
- 1 1/2 cups organic pineapple chunks (24 chunks)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Optional: Fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Wrap each shrimp with one piece of partially cooked bacon and set aside.
- Assemble shrimp skewers: Alternate pineapple chunks with bacon-wrapped shrimp on each skewer. You should have 6 skewers, each with 3 shrimp and 4 chunks of pineapple. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter or ghee, dried oregano and flaky sea salt. Generously brush each shrimp skewer, front and back, with butter mixture.
- Grill for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is opaque and fully cooked. Brush with more butter, garnish with optional chopped parsley and serve.
Serves: 3 (makes 6 large skewers)
Nutritional Information (Per 2 Skewers):
- Calories: 349
- Protein: 30g
- Carbs: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 8g
- Net Carbs: 11g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 209 mg
- Sodium: 989 mg
- Potassium: 154 mg
- Vitamin A: 8%
- Vitamin C: 66%
- Calcium: 7%
- Iron: 12%
Notes on cooking methods: Light grilling is a suspect cooking method on the Bulletproof Diet, since charred portions can create performance-robbing toxins. Reduce browning to a minimum whenever possible and avoid overcooking meat and seafood. Whenever safe, keep the inside of your meat medium-rare or rare.
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!