Modern Stoicism & Crushing your Ego: Ryan Holiday #527
By: Dave Asprey
Ryan Holiday is a fantastic author who has helped to reinvigorate an almost extinct philosophy. That philosophy is called Stoicism which is, as you will find out, more than simply enduring pain or hardship without complaining.
There have been many authors on Bulletproof Radio and Ryan deserves to be among them – he is seriously good. You might have read including The Obstacle Is the Way, Ego Is the Enemy, The Daily Stoic plus the one that you really should read, Perennial Seller.
Ryan’s company, Brass Check, has advised companies such as Google, TASER, and Complex, as well as multiplatinum musicians and some of the biggest authors in the world. He lives in Austin, Texas and in this podcast episode he discusses some complex ideas and makes them very, very approachable.
Follow Along with the Transcript
- How Ryan became a stoic 00:010:10
- A crisp definition of stoicism 00:12:10
- How do Health and Wealth fit into the stoic philosophy? 00:13:45
- If there is a 99% chance something is impossible, focus on the 1% that is possible 00:17:15
- How stoics would approach living longer 00:17:00
- Don’t live every day as it is your last 00:19:00
- What ego really is and how it fits into the stoic mindset 00:20:00
- Where does ego insert itself? 00:23:00
- How the ego says “no” 00:25:45
- If you’re going to burn hours of someone’s time it should provide value 00:31:30
- The reason we still watch Star Wars 00:33:00
- Being obsessed with an ROI 00:48:40
- I am an atheist but there are things beyond our comprehension 00:60:35
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review.