Recipe: Bulletproof Coffee Shop Scones
By: Bulletproof Staff
Update: A lot of you were said the scones didn’t come out quite right. We believe the issue was with folding the scone dough. The folding process for scones is a little unusual. Consult a video guide if you’re having trouble and enjoy the recipe!
Good news! The Bulletproof Coffee Shop in Santa Monica is adding a new high-fat, low-sugar dessert to its menu. These scones are buttery, slightly sweet, baked with orange zest and coconut milk, and 100% Bulletproof. They’re perfect for a carb refeed day or an after-dinner treat.
Don’t live in Santa Monica? Don’t worry. You can make Bulletproof scones at home. The recipe is right here, fresh from the chefs at the coffee shop. Happy baking, and have a great week!
Bulletproof Orange Scones
Note: To switch things up, swap blueberries or raspberries for the orange zest. Xylitol will work in place of honey if you want to minimize sugar.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 50 minutes
- 3 egg yolks
- 80 grams honey (or xylitol)
- 300 grams white rice flour
- 150 grams coconut flour
- 6 grams baking soda
- 3 grams Collagelatin
- 3 grams Vanillamax
- 860 grams of unsalted butter
- 3 grams salt
- 100 grams coconut milk
- Zest of 1 whole orange
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and coat the pieces with the flour mixture; it should look like coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the coconut milk, eggs, and honey.
- Mix everything together until it’s just barely incorporated. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Lay the dough out flat on a (rice) floured surface and fold it 4 times. You fold scone dough in an unusual way, and the recipe won’t turn out if you aren’t careful with it. Use a video guide if you want some guidance.
- Cut the dough into circles using a ring mold or the mouth of a glass.
- Once cut out, put the scones into the freezer and let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chilled scones in the 350-degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.