Keto Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Lamb kofta recipe and content provided by Brent Totty
Cooking protein over an open fire has been part of human history for thousands of years. However, the high heat that forms delicious char on your lamb can also form carcinogenic compounds. This lamb kofta (kebab) recipe revamps the traditional cooking method to maximize the nutrients from each ingredient.
Kebabs are easy to eat while minimizing cook time. Since this lamb kofta has a built-in handle, it’s a hit at parties and reduces waste from plates and silverware. With rich flavor from parsley and turmeric, lamb kofta is also loaded with antioxidants, minerals, and micronutrients.
The cooking method keeps this lamb kofta as clean as possible. The less time that protein has to spend over heat, the less likely that carcinogenic compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) can form. Since these kebabs are baked at 300 degrees over a grate, there is a very low chance of HCA formation while still delivering the grill marks you would expect on standard kebabs.
Enjoy lamb kofta all on its own, or dip in a simple avocado tzatziki sauce: Simply blend avocado with lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, mint, and salt and pepper for an herbaceous upgrade.
Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Start to Finish: 35 mins (15 minutes active)
- 1/2 pound ground grass-fed lamb
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 inch fresh turmeric, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Gather 4 wooden kebab skewers. Soak skewers in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a food processor, add parsley and process for 30 seconds, or until finely chopped.
- Add lamb and grated turmeric to the processor and run until evenly mixed.
- Form lamb tightly around the kebab skewers. Salt the exterior of the meat.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe rack on top of it so there is at least one inch of space between the rack and the pan. You may use a cast iron grill pan to get grill marks instead.
- Place kebabs on the grill and place in the upper third of your oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees.
- Remove lamb kofta from oven and garnish with grated turmeric and parsley sprigs.
Serves: 2 (2 kebabs per serving)
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 319
- Protein: 19g
- Total Carbs: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Net Carbs: 0g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 507mg
- Potassium: 251mg
- Iron: 10mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!