Recipe: How to Make Bulletproof Coffee … And Make Your Morning Bulletproof
By: Bulletproof Staff
Bulletproof Coffee is not your average latte.
It’s a high-performance drink that has a massive impact on your energy and cognitive function. Bulletproof Coffee has helped everyone from driven CEOs to professional athletes to busy parents increase their energy so they can do more of what fulfills them.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
- It all starts with the beans. Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with 2 ½ heaping tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans. Use a French Press for ease of use and to preserve beneficial coffee oils that paper filters keep out.
- Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane Oil. You’ll learn much more about Brain Octane Oil below, but keep in mind that this stuff is powerful. Start with 1 teaspoon per cup and work your way up to 1-2 tablespoons over several days.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee. You read that right. It says butter. Don’t worry. This mixture also makes the creamiest, most delicious cup of coffee you’ve ever had. Oh, and make sure your butter is unsalted. Salty coffee is gross.
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a foamy latte.
Drink Bulletproof Coffee instead of eating breakfast
Starting your day with cereal, granola, oatmeal, toast, fruit, or another carb-heavy breakfast staple spikes your blood sugar. You’ll get a quick burst of energy, but by mid-morning your blood sugar will crash, and you’ll be hungry, tired, and unfocused.
Starting your day with Bulletproof Coffee, on the other hand, gives you three things:
- Suppressed hunger. Brain Octane Oil balances ghrelin and CCK, your hunger hormones, keeping you full until lunch. You can read more about the science behind BP Coffee and hunger suppression here.
- Steady lasting energy. The saturated fat in grass-fed butter slows the absorption of caffeine, which gives you even energy for several hours instead of a caffeine spike and crash. No jitters, either.
- Mental clarity. Brain Octane rapidly converts to ketones, a type of molecule that your brain uses more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Pair ketones with the slowly releasing caffeine and you can literally feel your brain turning on.
Ditch the carb-heavy breakfast. Start your day with fat for fuel. You’ll be sharp and alert straight through until lunch.
How does it work?
Turns out there is some powerful science behind the benefits of coffee, butter, and Brain Octane Oil. Let’s dive in:
Bulletproof Beans boost energy and brain function
Coffee doesn’t just taste good. It’s packed with essential nutrients like B vitamins, potassium, and manganese. Coffee has loads of antioxidants, which reduce your risk of chronic degenerative diseases and keep your brain sharp. Other health benefits of coffee include:
- A sharper brain: Bioflavonoids in coffee can actually make you smarter by intensifying neuronal firing in the brain. This means your brain cells will communicate faster so thoughts come more quickly and you’ll have better recall. Coffee can also protect your brain as you age.
- A happier outlook: There’s some evidence that a couple cups of coffee a day can improve your mood and sense of alertness.
- Better physical performance and less fat: Caffeine can boost your physical endurance so your workouts seem easier. The caffeine in coffee can also raise your metabolism to help you burn fat.
But none of these benefits mean much if you’re drinking the wrong coffee.
Just like the food you put into your body, the quality of your coffee matters. Certified Clean Coffee Beans give you the mental edge and energy you need to thrive. Crappy coffee can sap your energy and hurt your performance.
Since it’s hard to tell exactly how your beans are grown, stored, and processed (even if they’re organic), we decided to grow and process our own coffee. Here’s how our beans are different:
- Location. Bulletproof Certified Clean Coffee is from high-elevation, Rainforest Alliance certified, single-origin coffee estates in Guatemala and Colombia.
- Quality. Bulletproof Beans are held to stringent quality standards with special sourcing and processing methods that minimize mold and other toxin contamination. This means you can drink cup after cup without worrying about toxic crap in your coffee.
- Taste. Bulletproof Beans are super high-quality Arabica beans, which have a smooth, bold flavor. They’re also less likely to grow mold.
Grass-fed butter adds high-quality fats and nutrients
Healthy fat will sustain your energy for hours, balance hormones, and boost cognitive function. With butter, you’re not only getting essential fatty acids and other nutrients, it helps make the creamiest cup of coffee you’ll ever have.
The kind of butter you add to your Bulletproof Coffee is important! Grass-fed cows are healthier than factory-farmed or grain-fed cows, and the butter they produce reflects their good health.
- Grass-fed butter is higher in essential nutrients. Your body craves good fats for hormone balance and brain health. But good quality, grass-fed butter also contains omega-3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, CLA (a fatty acid with powerful fat-loss benefits), and antioxidants.
- Butter is good for your brain and your digestion. Grass-fed butter is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that can both prevent and decrease inflammation. High levels of inflammation link to everything from depression to cancer, so the less inflammation the better!
Brain Octane Oil provides clean energy with no crash
Brain Octane is a staple of the Bulletproof Diet and a key ingredient in Bulletproof Coffee. It’s important because it raises fat-burning, brain-fueling molecules in your body called ketones. Brain Octane is a key ingredient for several reasons:
- Purity. Brain Octane is a purified form of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) derived from 100% pure coconut oil. It’s then triple-distilled through earthen clay, so there are no solvent residues.
- Quality. Brain Octane is 100% American-made and held to Bulletproof’s strict quality standards.
- Taste. Brain Octane is also flavorless, odorless, and easy on your stomach, unlike some other MCT oils, which can give you what Bulletproof followers affectionately refer to as “disaster pants.” (See image below for a visual explanation.)
Different types of fats have different jobs. And because of Brain Octane’s molecular structure, it helps you to curb your hunger, lose fat, and kick your brain into a higher gear more than generic MCT oil. It’s more than 4 times as effective as plain coconut oil at raising your ketone levels, aka helping your body to run off of fat instead of sugar. This is what gives you clean-burning energy with no crash for hours at at time. Brain Octane can also help you:
- Suppress hunger. Brain Octane suppresses ghrelin, the hormone responsible for making you feel hungry. It also enhances CCK, the hormone that makes you feel full. The result is that you feel satisfied for hours on even a small amount of Brain Octane.
- Lose weight. Ketones also boost your metabolic rate, decrease the amount of fat you store, and burn the fat you already have.
- Think faster. Brain Octane turns into ketones in minutes. Those ketones provide your brain with almost immediate access to energy. You’ll feel your brain turn on and brain fog disappear in favor of crisp, quick thought. Try it, you’ll feel it!
- Work out harder. Bulletproof Coffee with Brain Octane makes an excellent fuel for your workout. Fueling with sugar and other simple carbs can lower your testosterone, which cuts into muscle building, among other things (think: sex drive and energy). Brain Octane gives you clean energy without sapping your testosterone and other sex hormones. The caffeine in coffee will give you a nice boost in the gym, too, so you’ll feel supercharged for your day and your workout.
This is why Bulletproof Coffee works so well. When you drink a cup of it, you’re full for hours and those distracting food cravings vanish. Meanwhile, burning fat becomes effortless.
For a comprehensive look at Brain Octane Oil, check out this definitive guide.
Why does it need to be that exact recipe?
Not all buttered coffee is created equal.
To get the real benefits of Bulletproof Coffee you have to use Bulletproof ingredients. There’s no decent substitute for mold-free coffee or Brain Octane Oil. Using instant coffee and coconut oil won’t cut it.
Don’t add sugar, either. Sugar, even in natural forms like honey or maple syrup, will affect your blood sugar levels and keep you from burning fat.
Additions like coconut oil or coconut cream won’t give you the energy that Brain Octane will. Here’s why each ingredient is so important:
Why cheap coffee makes you weak
The wrong coffee can sap you of your energy and actually make your brain slower. Source the best beans you can. You can do this by choosing beans that are:
- Single origin
- Small batch
- From high elevations
- Arabica beans (they’re less moldy!)
- Rainforest Certified
- Tested for mycotoxins and mold
Bulletproof Coffee Beans meet all of these standards.
Why you should use grass-fed butter
Grass-fed is the key. This is where the nutrients are. It’s also what gives the coffee its creamy consistency. And for those of you with a lactose or casein intolerance, try ghee, which has most of the casein and lactose removed.
Non-grass-fed butter simply does not contain the nutritional punch of grass-fed butter. Period.
Why coconut oil just won’t cut it
Brain Octane is four times as effective as coconut oil at raising ketones, those fat-burning, brain-boosting molecules in your body. Throwing coconut oil in your coffee won’t give the same effects.
Brain Octane is composed of a special type of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) derived from coconut oil. But all MCTs are not created equal. There are four different strains of MCTs and they each do different things, not all of them good.
You can read more about how MCTs work vs. Brain Octane Oil here.
That’s why a cup of coffee made with crappy butter and coconut oil won’t keep you full for more than an hour or two, but a true Bulletproof Coffee made with mold-free beans, grass-fed butter, and Brain Octane Oil gives you steady energy for an entire morning.
Coffee is a powerful health food
Fat and coffee are the two most controversial foods in the Western world. But evidence is mounting that coffee and certain fats are not only good for your brain in the short-term (making you sharper and helping to balance your hormones), but also in the long-term, helping to protect against disease and curb inflammation.
Bulletproof Coffee doesn’t give you the jitters
Bulletproof Coffee allows you to get all the energy-boosting benefits of caffeine, but without the typical crash and jitters. How is this possible?
Moldy coffee beans are associated with brain fog and jitters. So, the difference between Bulletproof Coffee and other beans is the quality. Our beans undergo a stringent quality control process, so they don’t contain the mold toxins and pesticides that can tank your energy and focus.
You may want to rethink breakfast
Bulletproof Coffee is breakfast – but without the insulin spike and crash that fruit, smoothies, cereal, or bread products cause. And because of all those healthy fats from grass-fed butter and Brain Octane, you feel full and energized for hours.
Bulletproof Coffee in the morning is best paired with the nutrition principles outlined in the Bulletproof Diet. You can download the basic guidelines here.
You won’t crash with Bulletproof Coffee
Bulletproof Coffee contains targeted types of fat that keep you feeling full and alert for hours. When your blood sugar and hunger hormones are balanced, sugar and carb cravings disappear and your energy will skyrocket.
When your brain is running on fat instead of sugar, you have more focus and won’t experience the drops in energy that come with a high-carb diet. Your metabolism will switch into fat-burning mode, which frees you from sudden energy crashes and brain fog.
Fat doesn’t make you fat
It turns out that science doesn’t support low-fat claims at all. Unfortunately, after 60 years of low-fat propaganda, the “fat makes you fat” rhetoric is so ingrained in our collective psyche that many people still fear fat, even though study after study shows that fat is harmless. In fact, eating more fat is the single most powerful way to hack your cravings, turn on your brain, lose weight, and balance your hormones. Fat isn’t just good for you; it’s essential. Here are just a few reasons fat is your friend:
- Fat won’t mess with your blood sugar levels like sugar or carbohydrates. It’s actually too many carbohydrates that lead to unbalanced blood sugar and fluctuating hormones, which ultimately leads to fat storage.
- Fat slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which keeps blood sugar levels under control. Balanced blood sugar is the key to lowering stress hormones and inflammation.
- Fat makes you feel fuller longer. Try upping the healthy fats in your diet. You’ll actually eat less.
- Quality fats often contain fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K. Eating fat alongside other nutrient-dense foods will increase the fat-soluble nutrients you absorb from them, too.
Butter isn’t bad for you
It might take your body a week or two to fully turn on its fat digestion systems when you make the switch to healthy fats in the morning, but you’ll feel the boost in energy and cognitive function right away.
If at first it is a little too rich, try using less butter initially then build up to the amount you like. Taking a betaine HCl or digestive enzyme supplement with your coffee will also help your body digest the butter.
Grass-fed butter is much healthier than other butter. Starting your day with grass-fed butter will give you lots of energy and it will give your body healthy fats that it will use to make cell walls and hormones.
You don’t have to like coffee
You don’t have to use coffee to get the boundless energy and focus of butter and Brain Octane. In fact, the first time Dave experienced the benefits of a buttered beverage, it was in tea.
You can make just about any hot beverage into a creamy, frothy version of itself by adding butter and Brain Octane to your hot liquid in a blender. Hot chocolate, tea, and turmeric tea are just a few options.
Where Bulletproof Coffee began
Dave Asprey was a successful Silicon Valley entrepreneur when his health really started to take a hit. He was obese, weighing in at almost 300 pounds. He was also chronically tired, and his brain function was starting to suffer.
For years, he tried restricting calories and working out every day. Nothing helped. By the time he was 30, Dave’s doctors told him he was at strong risk for a stroke or heart attack — not at some indeterminate time in the future, but soon.
Dave got the idea for Bulletproof Coffee after a trek in Tibet in 2004. At 18,000 above sea level and -10°F, his energy was plummeting – until he staggered into a guest house and a local handed him a creamy cup of yak butter tea.
The butter-infused drink is a necessity for the people in Tibet, who live and work in such rugged, high altitude terrain. The drink instantly rejuvenated Dave. It was like a flip was switched on in his brain and body.
The biohacker in him wondered why the tea made him feel so good, and he embarked on years of research into why the yak butter turned his brain on. Eventually, Dave substituted tea for mold-free coffee, and yak butter for regular old grass-fed cow’s butter. Brain Octane Oil was the final missing piece. Together, those three ingredients gave Dave the abundant energy and effortless mental clarity he felt in that hut in Tibet. That’s how Bulletproof Coffee was born.
Make Bulletproof Coffee a part of your day
The best way to figure out if Bulletproof Coffee works for you is to try it. Here’s how you can incorporate Bulletproof Coffee into your day for boundless energy and focus:
- Buy some Upgraded Bulletproof Beans, grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee, and Brain Octane Oil.
- Replace your usual breakfast with a Bulletproof Coffee for about a week. It may take your body a while to adapt to burning fat for energy instead of sugar and carbohydrates.
- Eat your lunch and dinner as usual or just eat when you’re hungry.
- For maximum results, stay in the “green” zone of the Bulletproof Diet.
- Enjoy fat loss, muscle gain, and better performance overall.
We want to hear about your experience with Bulletproof Coffee. But first, you need the ingredients.