How to Make the Perfect Bulletproof Matcha Latte
By: Bulletproof Staff
Have you tried matcha?
Matcha is a type of super-potent green tea that’s especially high in antioxidants and fat-soluble nootropic compounds. It also has a richer flavor than normal green tea…which makes it perfect for blending with coconut milk (or grass-fed butter and Brain Octane Oil).
If you’re looking for yet another way to get your daily dose of quality fat and antioxidants, or if you just want a coffee alternative to mix things up, you’ll love this Bulletproof Matcha Latte.
Matcha: shade-grown for maximum potency
The major difference between matcha and normal green tea comes down to sun exposure. Matcha is grown in the shade for the three weeks before it’s harvested. UV light inhibits precious compounds in tea (and coffee, for that matter; that’s why Bulletproof Coffee Beans are shade-grown too). Those 3 weeks of protection from the sun leave matcha with much higher antioxidant content than normal green tea.
Matcha is also higher in caffeine, as well as theanine, a relaxing compound that tempers the caffeine. Caffeine and theanine have a nootropic effect when you combine them – together, they promote calm alertness, as well as mental endurance, short-term memory, and faster reaction time . That could explain why matcha has been a favorite of Zen monks for centuries.
Plus, matcha is a striking emerald green color. It’s an appealing way to start your morning.
Mellow out with a Bulletproof Matcha Latte
This matcha latte is great for mornings when you don’t want the full stimulatory effect of Bulletproof Coffee. Enjoy.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water, fresh off the boil
- 1 teaspoon organic matcha green tea powder (here’s a good one)
- 1 teaspoon lab-tested, mold-free vanilla powder
- 2 tablespoons Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen Protein Powder (optional)
- Stevia or hardwood xylitol (optional)
- In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a boil over medium-high heat, and then immediately remove from the heat.
- Mix the hot water and matcha tea powder together in a cup.
- In a blender, combine the tea, coconut milk, and vanilla powder. Cover the blender lid with a cloth (in case the lid leaks) and blend until you have a creamy consistency with a layer of foam on top.
- (optional) Add the protein powder and lightly blend until the protein is mixed in. Sweeten to taste. Enjoy!
Of course, if you’re more of a coffee person, you can always go for a classic Bulletproof Coffee. And for more tasty Bulletproof recipes, check out this simple 7-day meal plan. Thanks for reading and have a great week!