Green Banana Pancakes (Paleo, Low-Carb)
Banana pancakes recipe & content provided by Joshua Weissman
I have a confession: Pancakes are one of my greatest food weaknesses. Sure, sweets are great, but pancakes make my knees go wobbly. The melty butter running down every fluffy bite is the stuff of dreams.
These green banana pancakes are no exception to my pancake obsession. Each fluffy cake tastes rich and sweet with a perfect texture and depth of flavor. There is a reason why pancakes are such a famous food, and why banana pancakes get songs written about them.
It’s hard to eat conventional pancakes every day when most recipes use flour, sugar, or other ingredients that can make you foggy. These green banana pancakes hack the formula, though. Unlike regular bananas, unripe green bananas have much higher levels of gut-friendly resistant starch and much lower sugar content. Plus, with a few key swaps, they make the perfect paleo and vegan banana pancake recipe.
While green bananas don’t taste very good on their own, they make melt-in-your-mouth banana pancakes by replacing some of the starch you would naturally find in flour. Add it with a handful of other clean ingredients for a low-carb, grain-free breakfast fit for any pancake lover.
Green Banana Pancakes
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- 1 large green banana, peeled
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch or cassava flour
- small pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Grass-fed butter or ghee, or coconut oil for greasing
- Mash the banana with a fork until it’s as smooth as you can get it, and most of the lumps are gone.
- In a separate bowl, prepare dry ingredients: Whisk together coconut flour, arrowroot or cassava, salt, baking soda, and stevia until combined.
- Crack your egg into your banana mixture and whisk to combine. Then add dry ingredients to your liquid mixture. Whisk together until combined. If your batter is too thick, you can add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until it’s the correct consistency.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and grease with butter, ghee, or coconut oil. When your skillet is hot, pour pancakes into the pan (about 3 tablespoons of batter per pancake). Cooking banana pancakes 2-3 minutes per side until they are golden brown on the outside and cooked on the inside.
- Serve banana pancakes with pats of butter or strawberry jam.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 282
- Total Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Total Carbs: 30.3g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Sugars: 7.4g
- Sugar Alcohols: 0g
- Net Carbs: 19.7
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 113mg
- Potassium: 244mg
- Calcium: 18mg
- Vitamin D: 16mcg
- Iron: 1mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!