Keto Dirty Chai Frappe
Dirty chai recipe & content provided by Joshua Weissman
Most frappe drinks you’ll find at your local cafe are caffeinated sugar bombs in disguise — but this dirty chai is the perfect homemade alternative. All you need is a few spices, some coffee and tea, coconut milk, and ice to make a coffee shop-worthy drink at a fraction of the price.
For the best dirty chai, make sure you use high-quality spices and tea bags. Ground spices are particularly prone to mold, so get the freshest organic ones you can (or very high-quality ground varieties). To avoid spoilage, you should use spices quickly or discard them after a few months. You’ll be able to taste the difference.
This dirty chai recipe is full of flavor, lightly sweetened, and comes together in a snap — it’s a keto iced coffee alternative that everyone can enjoy. Serve it with a slice of white chocolate raspberry keto cake or a double chocolate chip cookie for an afternoon snack that satisfies.
Keto Dirty Chai Frappe
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (BPA-free)
- 1 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 black tea bag
- 1 star anise
- 1.4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup cold black coffee or cold-brewed coffee (recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups ice
- Stevia, MitoSweet, birch xylitol, or non-GMO erythritol to taste
- Begin by preparing chai tea: In a saucepan over medium heat, add coconut milk and all spices and heat until steaming. Once hot, turn off the heat, and allow chai to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solid spices out of the chai tea through a mesh strainer into a medium sized glass bowl. Mix together the strained chai tea and the cold coffee. This should cool the mixture down to roughly room temperature.
- Place the dirty chai mixture in fridge for a few minutes, or until cold.
- Pour dirty chai mixture into a blender with ice and blend until smooth. Taste and add sweetener, if desired. Serve in a chilled glass.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 184
- Total Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Total Carbs: 4.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sugars: 2.7g
- Sugar Alcohols: 0g
- Net Carbs: 2.6g
- Protein: 1.8g
- Sodium: 12mg
- Potassium: 210mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- Iron: 1mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!