Living in the Present: Former Monk, Dawa Tarchin Phillips #468
By: Dave Asprey
How do you know if you’re awakened? In this episode of Bulletproof Radio Dave interviews a leading voice in the global mindfulness movement, Dawa Tarchin Phillips, live in Hawaii.
Dave and Dawa discuss how to take control over the direction of your life by living in the present. And, more importantly, how do you know you are in the present?
Also, Dave Asprey talks about how he and his family reacted to the fake missile alert in Hawaii!
Enjoy the show!
Follow along with the Transcript
Links/Resources for Dawa Tarchin Phillips
- Today’s guest is Dawa Tarchin Phillips, who’s a Santa Barbara, California-based mindfulness and meditation expert and author, entrepreneur, spiritual teacher, researcher, educator, and really fantastically interesting guy, who’s been written about in the New York Times and Men’s Fitness and Forbes and places like that.
- He’s interesting because he studied and trained as an ordained monk with a Vajrayana Buddhist meditation master. This is someone of the Tibetan lineage.
- Dawa is a non-sectarian Buddhist practitioner and an authorized teacher of the Kagyu School of Tibetan Buddhism in the U.S. and abroad.
- Dawa has taken his knowledge of what’s going on inside our heads, inside our bodies, and turned it towards leadership.
- How can I create the life I want by using my skills of mind, of heart, and of action to actually transform my life?
- By developing these skills, the first life you’re able to transform is your own. That then also brings you into a place where you know from firsthand experience what these practices do. That’s really what we want. We want people that lead others to and through places that they themselves have become familiar with through their practice.
- The point is to be an integrated, valuable member of society.
- Think there’s a benefit from this process of awakening for our society because everyone that becomes more integrated, more grounded, more capable will both feel a personal sense of empowerment and also a greater desire to contribute.
- Dave on why he seeks out connecting with people. “, and there’s some value to just being in a room with a bunch of people who see things in a certain way because it soaks in, for lack of a better word.”
- How do you know if you are awakened?
- Everything that lies in an individual person’s control boils down to five things: what they think, how they feel, what they imagine, what they say, and what they do. Those five things all happen in the present. Someone who actually doesn’t have present, has lost all control over their life. They have no control over the direction of their life.
- How do we deal with trust? Because there are people who are not trustworthy. There are people who will meet with you, steal your ideas, or try and steal your money, or put together a bad partnership. Just aren’t worth that.
- On Personal responsibility for growth.
- How to change your mind based on the reality of things.
- Dawa on “paradoxes in awakening, where two seemingly opposing things can actually be true at the same time.”
- The beautiful thing is we see more and more CEOs, business owners, entrepreneurs showing up with that skill. I call it the new archetype of an awakened entrepreneur. I could count you among them. People who show significant accomplishment and mastery in business, but are operating from a spiritual awareness.
- An ascending journey where we visit powerful places on the globe that correspond to the frequency of the different chakras or energy centers in the human body.
- I would say, first of all, you need mentors. The human mind and the human body learns so much faster from modeling success than it does from recreating it out of thin air.
- Go check out “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and leave a review!
- If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review