Roasted Carrot Soup
Carrot soup recipe & content provided by Joshua Weissman
Carrots are so easy to love, especially in this carrot soup recipe. They’re sweet, mellow in flavor, and have a wonderful texture whether they’re raw, cooked, or pureed in a soup like this. When you sweat the carrots without overcooking them, they unveil a natural savory flavor and creamy texture. This soup is one you’ll want to make regularly this fall (or anytime).
After the carrots soften in the pan, they get gently cooked a rich, creamy broth with a touch of herbaceousness from the sage. Then, they’re pureed and emulsified into a silky smooth soup. It’s robust yet light, savory yet subtly sweet, and great for just about any season. Serve this carrot soup with Thai skirt steak or cauliflower fritters for a paleo and Whole30-approved meal.
Roasted Carrot Soup
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1.5 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (BPA-free), plus extra as needed
- 1 tablespoon Brain Octane Oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Crushed nuts for garnishing, such as raw pecans
- Melt butter or ghee in a medium sized saucepan over medium low heat. Once bubbling, add carrots and sage. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the carrots begin to slightly soften.
- Add bone broth and coconut milk. Turn the heat up to medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Immediately lower heat to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the carrots are mushy.
- Add mixture to a blender and blend, using extra chicken stock a tablespoon at a time to thin the soup if it’s too thick. Once the mixture is just thin enough to vortex in the blender, drizzle in Brain Octane Oil to emulsify. Blend until completely smooth.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Serve with crushed nuts and fresh parsley leaves on top.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 199
- Total Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Total Carbs: 13.1g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugars: 6.9g
- Net Carbs: 9.6g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Vitamin D: 4mcg
- Calcium: 49mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 449mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!