Braised Beef Brisket
Braised beef brisket recipe and content provided by Joshua Weissman
With slow cooked, tender meat, braised beef brisket will remind you of pot roasts from your childhood. Since the meat spends hours in the oven, it creates buttery shreds of beef with barely any effort.
Related: Oven Baked Ribs
Where I lived in Austin, Texas, beef brisket is always smoked — but this method produces neurotoxic compounds guaranteed to make you feel foggy. Braised beef brisket is the perfect alternative for cooking this versatile cut of beef. Braising cooks brisket more gently, reduces fat oxidation, and creates super juicy and tender meat at the same time. With all the chewy connective tissue and marbling, brisket is the perfect candidate for this cooking method.
Braised Beef Brisket
Start to Finish: 3 hours 20 minutes (20 minutes active)
- 2-4 pounds pastured beef brisket, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced 1/2-inch segments
- 3 cups pastured beef bone broth (try this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or ghee
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley and lemon zest to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot with a lid (such as a Dutch oven) on low to medium heat. When hot, add avocado oil and gently sear your beef for 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add carrot and celery to the pot and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and stir to get any stuck bits off the bottom of the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to a gente simmer. Nestle beef into the simmering liquid and place rosemary sprigs in the pot.
- Cover with a lid and place the pot in the preheated oven for about 3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Once cooked, remove the beef to a separate tray or plate and tent with foil.
- Strain the braising liquid through a fine mesh sieve and reserve the liquid (discard vegetables). Place liquid back into the pot and reduce on low to medium heat until it begins to become syrupy.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the butter or ghee until emulsified and glossy.
- Serve beef with pan sauce spooned over the top.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 463
- Total Fat: 18.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 210mg
- Sodium: 743mg
- Total Carbs: .9g
- Fiber: .3g
- Sugars: .6g
- Net Carbs: .6g
- Protein: 69.4g
- Vitamin D: 2mcg
- Calcium: 15mg
- Iron: 43mg
- Potassium: 947mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!