Dr. Alan Christianson: Simple Thyroid Health
By: Dave Asprey
November 5, 2013
Many Bulletproof Radio listeners may struggle with thyroid issues at one point or another. If you want your brain to work well, be thin, and have enough energy to work through the day, you’ll find it tough to succeed without an optimally functioning thyroid. Naturopathic physician, Alan Christianson came on the show to talk shop about thyroid disease. You’ll learn about why thyroid health is confusing, how food affects your thyroid health, and tips on how to hack your thyroid.
Dr. Alan Christianson founded Integrative Health: a group of physicians whose philosophy is to “Provide smart, safe, primarily natural and scientific solutions for the entire family to live ‘in good health.’” They are the bio hackers of the physician brigade. Dr. Christianson is Phoenix, Arizona-based and specializes in natural endocrinology with a focus on thyroid disorders. He wrote, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Thyroid Disease,” and is a competitive mountain unicyclist and a licensed pilot!
Did you know you could receive a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page?
What You’ll Hear
- 1:00 – Welcome Dr. Alan Christianson
- 2:00 – Hashimoto’s and competitive mountain unicycling!
- 3:00 – How food impacts you at childhood
- 6:10 – Why are we idiots about our thyroid?
- 8:10 – Possible thyroid symptoms vs probable thyroid symptoms
- 10:27 – How to best diagnose the thyroid?
- 13:00 – What are the most obvious signs?
- 15:40 – Why “normal” screening numbers are way off!
- 17:22 – Preventing thyroid dysfunction
- 19:00 – Fluoride and Brazil nuts on thyroid health
- 23:00 – The rate of false positives
- 25:00 – Thyroid differentiators between men and women
- 27:00 – Thyroid issues and your interpersonal relationships
- 30:00 – Thyroid’s got rhythm!
- 31:00 – Cold thermogenesis
- 33:00 – Thermal variation as a therapy for thyroid issues
- 34:00 – Affordable thyroid hacks
- 36:00 – What do all those Ts mean?
- 40:00 – Supplementing your thyroid?
- 47:00 – Alan’s top three recommendations to kick more ass and be more Bulletproof
Questions for the Podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below. If you want your question to be featured on the next Q&A episode, submit it in the Podcast Question form!