Fermenting phenomenon Jill Ciciarelli is on the show to talk about her healthy hobby turned full-time passion, food fermentation. It’s a discerning topic among Bulletproof Radio listeners and leaves them wondering: Is fermenting optimal or not? You’ll hear Jill and Dave share their personal experiences with eating fermented foods, how it improved Jill’s life, and why Dave’s still a bit skeptical.
Jill Ciciarelli is the author of Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods and founder of the health blog First Comes Health. She graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition as a holistic health coach and is certified by the American Association for Drugless Practitioners. Ciciarelli lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and a cat named Quincy.
Enter your email address in the box on the right to receive a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more!
What You’ll Hear
- 0:30 – Intro
- 2:40 – Jill talks about her self-imposed break from promoting her book, Fermented
- 4:13 – Adrenal burnout? Turning social media off for a week might not kill you!
- 6:55 – How Jill got into fermentation
- 8:50 – Chemistry of fermenting
- 10:40 – Bacterial starters and wild fermentation
- 12:40 – How do we know what’s in our soil?
- 14:20 – Home wine brewing can be dangerous
- 15:00 – Dave talks about his fermentation skepticism
- 16:30 – Jill talks about options for controlling bacterial starters and the variability in fermentation benefits between individuals
- 18:30 – Herxheimer reaction
- 19:59 – N=1, How fermented food made Jill’s life brighter
- 21:50 – Biodynamic cabbage and fermented dairy
- 24:20 – Jill’s favorite ferment
- 26:00 – Is Kombucha dangerous?
- 28:00 – Cultivating awareness. How do I know what works?
- 29:40 – Traveling with fermented food
- 31:00 – Industrial fermenting with EMFs vs. at-home fermenting
- 33:20 – Histamine in fermentation
- 35:50 – Quincy the cat and running using fermented food
- 36:30 – Top three things performing better and kicking more ass!
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below so I can answer them in the next podcast.
Please do me the courtesy of leaving a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find the show!