Sam Sheridan: Apocalypse Survival, Stress & Shamans
By: Dave Asprey
In an apocalypse, how would you biohack your survival?
This episode dives into answering this question and discusses all things stress-related. It was a blast having Sam Sheridan, best selling author of The Disaster Diaries: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Apocalypse, on the show to talk about a wide variety of topics ranging from endurance vs. interval training to Cooper’s Color Code and shamans. You’ll hear about the science and psychology of stress, the best way to handle stress, and how to better your chances of surviving an apocalypse.
Sam Sheridan was an amateur MMA fighter, EMT, wild-land fire fighter, cowboy, sailor and worked construction at the South Pole. He is also the best selling author of A Fighters Heart: One Man’s Journey Through the World of Fighting, The Fighters Mind: Inside the Mental Game. During research for his latest book The Disaster Diaries: Sam immerses himself in the survivalist and dooms-day preparation subculture by:
- Attending stunt driving school
- Learning the art of eskrima (Filipino knife fighting).
- Participating in Cody Lundin’s (Dual Survival on Discovery Channel) Aboriginal Living Skills School.
- Learning how to steal a car with ex-gang bangers in Los Angeles.
A large portion of The Disaster Diaries explains the bio-chemical cocktail that our bodies produce during moments of intense stress (i.e. an apocalypse.)
Did you know you could receive a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page?
What You Will Hear
- 1:40 – Dave gets a boost in order to prepare for the show
- 2:50 – Sam’s book & Neil Strauss’s Emergency
- 3:30 – Sam’s apocalyptic mindset
- 4:20 – Endurance training vs. Interval training (in surviving stress)
- 5:40 – The power of awareness in injury prevention
- 6:30 – Can you do both, endurance and interval training?
- 7:15 – Where time comes into play
- 9:10 – “Take a day hike,” Sam advises
- 9:40 – Your nervous system, sleep, and high elevation
- 11:30 – Cooper’s Color Code
- 12:45 – Your state of arousal
- 13:45 – Why the Marine Corp created “condition black” on the color code
- 15:20 – “This is the peak time of fear research”
- 16:50 – Stress Inoculation
- 18:00 – The 2 main ways to handle stress inoculation (plus an extra tip)
- 19:30 – Sam’s personal experience with extreme stress
- 20:30 – Dave’s escape & evasion experience (before his emWave training)
- 22:15 – The power of living through highly stressful events
- 23:40 – Stress inoculation and sleep
- 25:00 – Understand how GOOD you have it
- 26:05 – How well you train is highly correlated to how well you react
- 27:15 – How the majority of behaviors are pre-programmed & what to do about it
- 30:40 – Why bank robbers took phenobarbital before robbing a bank
- 32:00 – How to use nutrition to hack stressful situations
- 34:00 – The power of simple, decisive decisions in catastrophe
- 34:55 – Using Brain Octane/MCT Oil to avoid mental breakdowns
- 35:15 – Why MMA fighters are using Bulletproof Coffee before fights
- 36:10 – Getting your rest and how Laurence Olivier, one of the greatest actors of all time, developed stage fright
- 36:45 – PTSD, cortisol overload, and dissociation
- 39:00 – How Dave was born with PTSD
- 40:50 – What to do in an apocalypse
- 41:45 – The “trick” to know if you have disassociated
- 43:05 – Shamans & going beyond conscious thinking
- 44:10 – Where you should live during the apocalypse
- 46:00 – Empower yourself by preparing for the apocalypse
- 46:55 – Where do you find sufficient fat and nutrients?
- 48:55 – Top 3 recommendations to be more Bulletproof
Links From The Show
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below so I can answer them in the next podcast.
Please do me the courtesy of leaving a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find the show!